Data Talks...Are You Listening?

This forum contains various technical threads, how-tos, etc.
coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Data Talks...Are You Listening?

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:35 pm

A friend sent me a YouTube list of AiM Sports educational videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/aimdata

I know many here use AiM products, like the DL, etc. Here are highlights:
-I have downloaded my data, now what? Pt 1
-I have downloaded my data, now what? Pt 2
-Building a Track Map
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Rboosted717

Re: Data Talks...Are You Listening?

Post by Rboosted717 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:24 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:35 pm A friend sent me a YouTube list of AiM Sports educational videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/aimdata

I know many here use AiM products, like the DL, etc. Here are highlights:
-I have downloaded my data, now what? Pt 1
-I have downloaded my data, now what? Pt 2
-Building a Track Map
I'm also always happy to help interpret data. I've spent a fair amount of time analyzing AIM and MoTec data. I've also attended numerous classes on both and have read a majority of the top data analytic books. I love data.

That being said, looking over lap times with GPS is good, especially if your learning a track and figuring out the driving line and/or braking zones. To improve the chassis, engine, suspension and brake performance, you'll need a lot more sensors. Steering position, front & brake pressure, throttle angle (typically via CAN to the engine ECU), clutch position (option), temps and pressure sensors on the engine (oil temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, fuel temp (optional), water temp and trans temp. For the suspension; shock pots or load cells, ride height and/or aero effectiveness sensors.
For the brakes; tire temp & pressure, brake rotor or caliper temp sensors

I could go on and on but you'd be really surprised what the data can tell you. I provided a few examples on the build thread for my yellow car (on the old ITRCA site) of how the data was showing me the performance of my engine oil, the effectiveness of my oil pan & baffling on counter clock wise tracks, the performance of my brake fluid and the impact it has on the front & rear bias, undetectable wheel lockups and overly aggressive turn-in and the impact it had on the suspension effectiveness in the exit. I got all that data from one track day (two sessions) and about an hour or two of analyzing the data at home. Here's a few screen shots as an example:

Effectiveness of engine oil grade & brake fluid performance as the operating temperatures change

Undetectable loss of traction under deceleration

Performance impact of late braking... leaving too much on the table

For what it's worth, I currently own the following systems and/or actively use them:
Hondata S300 - installed on the yellow race car & one of my daily drivers
MoTeC M4 Pro (advanced telemetry) - was installed on the drag car
MoTeC M800 (w/ advanced telemetry) - currently installed on the drag car
MBE 941/970 (w/ advanced telemetry) - currently installed on the ELR/Foss-Tech race car
STACK STACK STACK 8100AR (display & advanced telemetry) - currently installed on the ELR/Foss-Tech race car
Autosport Labs Podium Connect - (remote live stream of telemetry) - currently installed on the ELR/Foss-Tech race car
AiM Solo DL (w/ECU connection via RS2232 & datahub w/wideband sensor) - I use it on various cars for quick telemetry
AiM MXL2 (w/advanced harness expansions) - currently installed on the yellow race car
AiM Evo5 (w/ advanced harness expansions) - installing on the ELR/Foss-Tech race car
AiM GS Dash (display for the Evo 5) - installing on the ELR/Foss-Tech race car
AiM Smartycam HD 2.1 - used on various race cars
AiM Smartycam GP HD 2.1 - used on various race cars
And pretty much every type of expansion, sensor, etc... that you can connect to these systems.

I'm by far not an expert or someone that uses these systems for a living, but I've done my homework and have a decent understanding.
98-0108 : West Coast Acura Training Center Collector Car
98-0717 : Time Attack/SFWD drag car
98-0731 : Spa 24H & Speedvision/SPEED World Challenge Race Car
FTI-98-03 : Spa 24H & Belgian Procar - Manufacture World Champion

g3teg97
Badge Number: 98-0379

Post by g3teg97 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:31 pm

I watched one of Ross Bentley's webinar's about "Data for Drivers" and it was fascinating. Is there any advice members can give one that wants to graduate from the phone based apps like Track Attack or Harry's Lap Timer into something like an AiM Solo DL? Maybe more of a guide for beginners moving past just learning a track and trying to begin to master it.

My goal is to have video with overlays to review and maybe have a coach review for pointers down the line. Some solutions out there are pretty expensive, and I'm not sure that's really worth it at this point in time. Maybe something simpler to work up to? Just a couple of my thoughts.

coolhandluke

Post by coolhandluke » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Excellent feedback!

@Mike - I aim to start small leveraging my initial investment in a AiM Solo DL. Once I have a foundation, I can add on additional layers. Items like brake temps, brake performance, and shock movement are appealing... I assume if I educate myself I could pick out where I am overbraking, etc. The goal being to avoid using just the butt dyno and lap time to determine what is working / not working.
g3teg97 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:31 pm ...Is there any advice members can give one that wants to graduate from the phone based apps like Track Attack or Harry's Lap Timer into something like an AiM Solo DL? Maybe more of a guide for beginners moving past just learning a track and trying to begin to master it....
I would start with the series of videos in the OP.
Type-R Expo

coolhandluke

Post by coolhandluke » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:41 am

Updates to the data roster. I’ve heard good comments about the Garmin Catalyst. Here is a recent podcast from Speed Secrets covering the Catalyst:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0492354348
Type-R Expo

coolhandluke

Post by coolhandluke » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:09 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:41 am Updates to the data roster. I’ve heard good comments about the Garmin Catalyst. Here is a recent podcast from Speed Secrets covering the Catalyst:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0492354348
Another review via YouTube clip (30min)
https://youtu.be/mnH2pHnZQCQ
Type-R Expo