1999 Honda Integra Type R Build

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
DC2Iggy

Re: 1999 Honda Integra Type R Build

Post by DC2Iggy » Thu May 02, 2019 3:28 pm

Sp00nFedFilms wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:51 pm What did you use on the rear quarter glass moldings?
Used 400/600/800/1000/1500/2000 grit sand paper and a steam cleaner and then applied some Mother's Back to Black trim dressing. You could probably use some polish as well to get rid of any sand marks from the 2000 grit sand paper but I didn't bother.

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Wed May 08, 2019 11:05 am

Quick update.

Took the R to the track this past weekend for HPDE and Time Attack licensing. Wow what a blast! It's definitely slower than my STI was on the straights but it's so much lighter that I am able to brake later and just take turns at a quicker speed. Since I was limited to 130kph on the saturday I decided to just leave the Hawk HPS pads on but swapped to the Hawk DTC-60s on sunday and was able to hit the brakes a lot later than with the HPS.

I did have a couple of issues but have mostly sorted everything out. Been dealing with a leaky CV boot over the past few day prior to the event. I thought I took care of it but I guess the higher speeds may have caused it to leak again. Replaced the clamps again on saturday with some beefier ones and that stopped the leak. Boot wasn't torn or anything, just the clamp was loose I guess.

Got a check engine light first lap out on Sunday which turned out to be an o2 sensor code. Went away after I cycled the keys on/off and never came back. I have a new o2 sensor sitting at home that I've been meaning to switch out but haven't had the time.

One of the biggest issues that I had was this feeling of a floating wheel at higher speeds. Made it hard to confidently go at full speed but I managed. Tie rods are good and so are all the balljoints so I'm thinking it's either a worn LCA bushing (though they look okay) or the rack needs to be adjusted. I ordered the 40mm rack adjustment tool so I'll give that a shot once it comes in.

Haven't noticed much oil burned over the course of the weekend. Might have been very minimal for 200kms driven hard on track.

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:07 am

Got the floating feeling sorted out. Blown RTA bushings and Front lca bushings were the cause. Swapped those out with new OEM replacements and instantly it was gone. I noticed the outside edge of my tires were getting chewed up at autocross from lack of camber so I picked up a skunk2 pro camber kit and threw that on (it seems i am terrible at taking photos of the process). Here’s a shot from the first Time Attack I did.

And the aftermath of using the dtc-60s

Felt like I didn’t have a whole lot of grip with the old worn out Toyo R1Rs so I got the Azenis mounted before the next track day. Nothing like brand new rubber.

I think I might be over driving the car at autocross as it tends to do a lot of pushing. I’ve got to get that figured out.

Posted up with some friends at the last lapping day. Eg has a built B16B putting down 195whp and the s2000 is all Spooned out.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:32 pm

How bad were your rear trailing arm bushings? I've been dreading doing mine after seeing some minor cracks in the bushing, not completely torn, but since you mentioned the floatiness, I wonder if that is what I am feeling in some instances...
-Andrew Wong

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:24 pm

aw614 wrote:How bad were your rear trailing arm bushings? I've been dreading doing mine after seeing some minor cracks in the bushing, not completely torn, but since you mentioned the floatiness, I wonder if that is what I am feeling in some instances...
One side was cracked but not broken through. The other side was completely broken through above. My front right lca bushings were in bad shape too so I replaced those at the same time.

If you can get your hands on the honda trailing arm removal tool it takes like 15 minutes per side to press out and press in (when the bushing lines up) and you can do it with the trailing arm on the car.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:37 pm

DC2Iggy wrote:
aw614 wrote:How bad were your rear trailing arm bushings? I've been dreading doing mine after seeing some minor cracks in the bushing, not completely torn, but since you mentioned the floatiness, I wonder if that is what I am feeling in some instances...
One side was cracked but not broken through. The other side was completely broken through above. My front right lca bushings were in bad shape too so I replaced those at the same time.

If you can get your hands on the honda trailing arm removal tool it takes like 15 minutes per side to press out and press in (when the bushing lines up) and you can do it with the trailing arm on the car.
This picture !
IMG_3375.jpg
IMG_3375.jpg (216.63 KiB) Viewed 712 times

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:22 pm

Stin1 wrote: This picture !
IMG_3375.jpg
Haha Adam’s Wheel Cleaner doing it’s best to get the brake dust off. Pretty much the same as iron-x or sonax but doesn’t smell like death.

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:54 am

Pretty bad for updating this thread. Been a busy, short summer.

My car came with some poor condition door panels. The passenger side was all cut up and the arm rest was cracked while the driver’s side fabric was torn. I picked up a spare set of LS door panels and swapped out the door panel fabric for some red tweed, which was a pretty close colour match to the recaros. I’m on the hunt for some good condition ITR panels but these will do for the time being.

The new bumper I had picked up had a hole cut out of the grille so I scooped a colour matched J’s Racing air duct to fill in the opening. Intake sounds are a bit louder without the silencer.

Also fixed up and painted the lip while I was transferring it from one bumper to the next. Added some weather stripping between the lip and bumper to tie it together with the optional kit once I get it painted/installed.

Special delivery from Japan. Managed to find these for a great price and after 3 days they were in my hands.

Test fitting before my new tires come in.

Near the end of the summer I took the car in to get some dents pulled out. Apparently there were 23 dents taken out. Body is super smooth now.

Did a couple more autocross and time attack events and then went on a long year end cruise with the local sports car club before putting the car away in storage for the winter. This is how it looked just before it went into the garage.

Next year I plan on getting the spare rear bumper repainted as well as the optional kit. I’ve picked up a few maintenance items as well including a new set of pedal covers to replace the mugen ones that came with the car.

CDMTypeR

Post by CDMTypeR » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:13 pm

Love the wheels!
2017 Civic Type R FK8 #R-01546
2001 Integra Type R DC2 #01-1324 **FOR SALE**
IG:@cdmtyper