6k mile 97R on BaT

Post ITR/CTR Cars For Sale Here
Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Re: 6k mile 97R on BaT

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Yes, it seems like mileage accuracy will become more of a concern now. One time I sold parts to a random Honda guy, and he said without any shame that he would switch clusters in his ITR, then revert back to original without any added mileage. So there are people like that out there.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:15 pm

Dave7CDMTYPER wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:01 pm Yes, it seems like mileage accuracy will become more of a concern now. One time I sold parts to a random Honda guy, and he said without any shame that he would switch clusters in his ITR, then revert back to original without any added mileage. So there are people like that out there.
I've thought about that and similar things on a few in recent years. You could ask to see if the cable ties behind the cluster are still there. It's been well over a decade, but I think one needed to be removed in order to swap clusters.
:hammer:

aklackner

6k mile 97R on BaT

Post by aklackner » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:48 pm

When I swapped a JDM ITR cluster into my LS the zip tie clips into the cluster were cut, though these zip ties are replaceable frequently with oem parts.

If swapping clusters for cosmetic reasons while holding on to original parts, like many in the JDM/import culture did, mileage would be hard/impossible to really determine by the clocks. It really comes down to assessing condition on it’s own merits. I question if any but 1 or 2 examples of the Type R really rise to the valuation where falsified readout on the gauge cluster on its own would leave a significant and lasting impact on value. In part due to the peanut gallery effect. (I.e. collective history of cars, personal knowledge, community evaluation, shared opinions). In terms of an example of what I mean is there’s little evidence of independent verification (as in art) would have a significant positive impact on values.

I don’t mean to say shaving points isn’t a crime but given the enthusiast market and what I’d personally assess as a limited viability of 99% of these vehicles as a true financial investment I’d estimate the impact to be more individual than (systemic) to the broader market.

Lturner

Post by Lturner » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:55 pm

Had an old py that had a toggle switch under the dash that killed power to the odometer lol.
So who knows how many miles were on the damn thing.
01-0629 PY I think?
00-1587 from the motherland CW
17-01699 RR