Hard Race Bushing Failure - Educational

This forum contains various technical threads, how-tos, etc.
Little_Nolan

Hard Race Bushing Failure - Educational

Post by Little_Nolan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:44 pm

I figured this was worthy to bring up since many of us use Hardrace products on our cars. I have noticed that many of the bushings that have been replaced on my R between 2012-2017 with Hardrace products are showing a concerning amount of wear or outright failure. The most recent of which was a front sway bar and compliance bushing failure which has turned out to be a huge headache. I had noticed a clunk in the front end of my ITR a while back but could not diagnose it initially and thought it may have been the spoon rigid collars “settling”.. While under the car I noticed the sway bar endlinks appeared to be deformed. These are somewhat hard to see due to the metal “cups” that sort of nestle the bushings in place but they appeared to be pushing past this. I ordered some energy suspension bushings for both the endlinks and stock 24mm R sway bar. While swapping out the bushings I found the following problem:

1) All 4 Hardrace sway bar bushings had severely deformed and failed. Essentially leaving them loose. And yes they were torqued to spec.
2) Front left endlink was partially broken at the threads. From what looked like movement allowed by the failed bushings. Endlinks are Hardrace which included the bushings.
3) Both sway bar mounting bushings (also Hardrace) were deformed, partially torn and some of the bushing material was stuck onto the bar from wearing off the bushing.
4) Left compliance bushing sway bar mounting stud BROKE off when little pressure was applied to remove. Likely as a result of the left endlinks movement.

I can confirm that the Hardrace compliance bushings seems to be okay and do appear deformed or severely degraded BUT the housing which appears to look similar is NOT a Honda housing. It is absolutely inferior in quality, including the aforementioned broken stud.

I have purchased replacement parts and have consulted several other ITR owners including Ryan (coolhand), my brother Nolan (EG6-DC2) and Chris from Kingpin and can say their experiences or knowledge with some of Hardraces products are similar to mine. This is meant for educational purposes and to create dialog if others have had similar experiences with their products. Seems to me that they are Harldy Race - and I am glad this failure occurred off the track.

Some things that I have learned is that the blue TPV bushing type material seems to go quicker than their black hardened rubber. But I did experience a rear upper control arm bushing crack of theirs with this black rubber as well, so who knows. It was a less dramatic failure than the blue stuff for sure. I have also learned that the blue sway bar bushing material is significantly “squishier” than when it was installed and it seems to rub off and adhere to the bar.

Miles of use: about 6000 miles
Track days: handful
Lowered: Not much
Springrate: 425f/375r for majority of miles.

Pics:

Nathaniel
Current: 97-00305, '19 ZR2 2.8L Duramax, '97 EX Sedan

Previous: 97-0322, 97 DB8R, 98-0197, CR-154

Klasse

Re: Hard Race Bushing Failure - Educational

Post by Klasse » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:11 pm

Thanks for posting! Have heard mixed things on hardrace.

I am trying to order a bunch from Honda and a few are coming up discontinued. Deciding now on a mash up of OEM/Hardrace possibly or another complete kit, OEM style.
'97 DB8 Integra Type R, '97 EK1 Civic LXi
ex: '94 CD6 Accord SiR, '92 EG9 Civic SiR, '89 DA6 Integra XSi

Little_Nolan

Post by Little_Nolan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:04 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting as much of the OEM components as you can, however, many of the pieces are discontinued including the compliance bushings and rear LCAs.

If I was going to pony up the dough for a new complete kit, I would probably just bite the bullet and buy a Spoon or Mugen kit. I prefer the design of the Spoon RTA bushings over the Mugens, but the rest of the kit is essentially the same and Honda level quality. I believe RHDJapan, ICB motorsports, or King Motorsports are going to be your best source for the either of the full kits.

I purchased a set of KIngPin compliance bushings to replace the broken hardrace ones.

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:58 pm

I have a lot of Hardrace bushings on my car and recently I've noticed my alignment is off. Been meaning to check bushings. I guess I'll move that up on the priorities list.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:06 pm

Thanks for sharing all of that, Nathaniel. Good stuff, especially as we all collectively need to find suitable replacements. The discontinuation of OEM parts is a real problem and has extended into my '05 TSX as well.

Around 2006 or so, Ryan Tait put the full Mugen bushing kit on 97 #163, and it was probably the best ITR I had driven. Similar to OEM but slightly stiffer without harshness. It was probably similar to brand new OEM ITR, but none of us had ridden in one like that in years.

If Mugen and Spoon are still being produced, I'd lean that way, even at the higher cost. Bushings are not fun to replace.

<--who had some Mugen on the old GSR but not enough.
:hammer:

Little_Nolan

Post by Little_Nolan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:14 am

yup, the discontinuation of so many parts has made it increasingly difficult to both maintain these cars properly and restore/fix previous issues.

No surprise on #163. I can imagine it was a nice feeling having the matched bushings like that. It probably felt like a new car. As far as driving experience and "feeling" from the car, bushings are really top contributor along with things like good tires, functioning shocks, and working brakes.

I loved that GSR. It felt great.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:04 am

Thank you for sharing Nate. I'm disappointed to see these results, it's a shame, but thank you for preventing these results for someone else in the community.

My experience:
-Hard Race engine mounts lasted <10k on 97 #00171
-Hard Race Front sway bar endlinks failed prematurely on 98-1040
-Hard Race Rear Trailing Arm (RTA) bushings required shaving casing before pressing, due to lack of precision manufacturing

In 2007 I put the full Hard Race kit with PIC rear LCA's in 98-1040 but over the last ten years I have switched to OEM rear LCA's, PCI spherical RTA's, and Kingpin Machine front LCA's, front lower compliance, and front UCA sphericals.

As a next step, we should gather details on:
-What OEM parts are still available (list changes daily)
-What Mugen bushings are still available
-What Spoon bushings are still available
-Full list of Kingpin Machine bushing options

As the community rebuilds and refreshes their cars, OEM is consistently not an option, and this thread highlights Hard Race shouldn't be considered.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Little_Nolan

Post by Little_Nolan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:29 pm

A compiled list is a good idea Ryan, but like you said it will require the occasional upkeep as inventory and availability status changes.

I know for sure that both Mugen and Spoon offers full kits and many of their bushings separate from the kits. While prices of Spoon and Mugen stuff has sky rocketed like the OEM parts, the full bushing kit from either manufacturer can be had for 500-600 USD.

ICB Spoon Kit: https://www.icbmotorsport.com/subusetek.html

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:01 pm

Little_Nolan wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:29 pm A compiled list is a good idea Ryan, but like you said it will require the occasional upkeep as inventory and availability status changes.
I was going to ask Cris at IRUNOEM to help maintain the OEM list. Sadly, it is short...

Little_Nolan wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:29 pm ...I know for sure that both Mugen and Spoon offers full kits and many of their bushings separate from the kits. While prices of Spoon and Mugen stuff has sky rocketed like the OEM parts, the full bushing kit from either manufacturer can be had for 500-600 USD.

ICB Spoon Kit: https://www.icbmotorsport.com/subusetek.html
Thank you! I was on ICB's site earlier and failed to find it...

If you want to start a new thread on "Bushing refresh options" I will help collaborate. :beer:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Little_Nolan

Post by Little_Nolan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:24 pm

:moneyburn: