The End of an Era

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
white rocket

The End of an Era

Post by white rocket » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:25 pm

After much thought I have decided to part ways with my 1999 Integra Type R.

I had dreamed of ITR ownership since the 1996(ish) Sport Compact Car issue that featured it versus the GSR on TSW blades. I was in my late teens at the time and street racing forced me to look at imports as a real candidate for potential. As soon as I laid eyes on the ITR I knew it was "the one". I knew it without even needing to drive one. Pricing would put it out of range for me in 1997 when they were released in North America even though I had connections through the auto industry. Those connections were charging upwards of $5k - $8k over MSRP due to demand. Alas, my plans were thwarted until 2003 when this one popped up at an auction with only 53,000kms. It had a theft claim on it but that didn't matter to me as the chassis was clean from collisions. Shitty Tein coilovers and a Mugen dildo knob were the only mods. After a nice ego filled bidding war with another dealer the hammer fell and I was an owner. Yay! Let the experience begin. After I wrote the cheque and headed to the parking lot where it was located I realized that this would be the first time I would have ever driven one. Would it stack up to my own self-built hype? Answer: Hellz to the ya! Discovering VTEC was incredible as I had no idea about anything at this time. I wanted neon lights underneath as my first mod so that will give you context as to where my head was at at that stage of my life.

After a few months of online searching for more info I stumbled upon Honda Tech through A&J Racing's website. From there I would read as much as I could. Finally ended up joining in March 2004. The ITR community was in full swing with Expo's happening annually and members posting threads daily asking everything from what are the best mods, what race tracks to attend, how to dial in suspension, and everything in between. From there I learned that these cars belong on a closed course so I shifted my vision towards that aspect and began sourcing parts to suit that need. Started tracking in 2005 until about 2009 when I just ran out of time to do so. I had the pleasure of attending Expo 8 and Expo 9 when I could finally put some names and faces to user names. An amazing life changing experience in itself and one I could talk about for hours. I entered a local car show and took home 3rd place for Best Acura only beaten by two NSX's. I'm not much of a show car guy but I can appreciate the tidyness of a show car and it was nice to showcase all of the hard work that my shop had put into the car and get recognition for it. Shortly after this a tarp cover fell on the car causing a bunch of damage. It was heart breaking to see the car in this state but insurance fixed it and it was put back good as it was previously. I had considered selling it at that time but then decided to go ballz out and have the motor built in the best form a B18C5 could be in my opinion. A year or so later, after many many hours/days of research, the ball started rolling. A year later I had a fully built 230whp B18C5 motor ready for battle. Enjoyed it for a few more track days but it mostly sat and only enjoyed sporadically on the street on weekends with friends. Kids and a mortgage came into my life about 4 years ago and that led to more distance between me and the caR. Over the past few months I had considered selling it as it was a shame to just let it sit. I felt that I had done everything I ever wanted to do to a Type R and now it was time to pass it down the line. I reached out to some close people in my life to get the word out amongst friends so it could be an arms length transaction. The sentimental value this car has with me couldn't let me just sell it to anyone and it needed a good home. Last month a deal was struck and the title has now changed hands. I always feared this day but it feels pretty liberating since I had already gone through the mindset of selling and it went to one of the best homes it could. All in all, a perfect conclusion to 15 years of ownership.

A huge thank you goes out to all you crazy Type R fuckers that have helped, encourage, steered and guided me over the years and created life long memories through online chats or in person at Expo 8 and 9. I basically copied this post from H-T but altered it as the ITR Expo site came shortly after H-T and became a mainstay for most of us ITR specific peeps or anyone who disliked the direction H-T went after the 2008 mass exodus. Let's take a quick trip down memory lane.

The day I bought it (October 2003)

Parking lot stuntin' (2005)

That was boring so let's hit the track (2006)

And a car show (2008)

Let's park here for the winter. Safe right?

Effin' lame............ :cry:

Got her fixed and had the motor built (2012ish)

A few more track days and then it was time to say goodbye (April 2018)

Luckily I have 2000 CW #0768 with 80,000kms in mostly original condition to have as the forever car. A slow resto replacing moduldings, bolts, and anything showing corrosion but for the most part it doesn't really need anything currently.

So I ain't going anywhere 8-)
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Lturner

Re: The End of an Era

Post by Lturner » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Good stuff! Love seeing pics from years ago.
01-0629 PY I think?
00-1587 from the motherland CW
17-01699 RR

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Great story, and I really enjoy reading these. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The forever car looks great!
:hammer:

touringteg

Post by touringteg » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:25 pm

Congrats on the sale and it is great you have a low mileage keeper. I hear you about lack of time.

It looked stunning in the white CE28s! Looks like spoon calipers? Those discontinued white bumper plugs tho.

Good luck with the sale of the red SE37k
CW ITR 01-1233 CDM Sold
CW ITR 98-0635 CDM
CW CTR 17-01818 CDM

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Wuddup OG!

Ahhh memory lane. Good stuff.

Sorry to see you let her go Chris but glad you have another to fall back on. When I sold my first R it was bitter sweet but a few years later I was able to grab another and now its raping my bank accounts lol.

Hit up Expo West if you can make it. Doubt if I will be there but there will certainly be some other OG there.

:clownshoes:
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:59 pm

Inspiring story Chris, thank you for sharing. I remember your early ricer days, Expo 8 & 9 visits, hanging at Dave_B's for the guns and booze meat where it was colder in SC than it was at the 2010 Canadian Olympics, the terrible canopy incident, the subsequent motor rebuild, and the later gem purchase. I wish you and the family all the best.

PS- I still owe you a visit.

touringteg wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:25 pm ...It looked stunning in the white CE28s!....
My mind raced to similar thoughts. I will have a set one day, oh yes, I will.

RTW DC2R wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:33 pm Wuddup OG!

...Hit up Expo West if you can make it. Doubt if I will be there but there will certainly be some other OG there.
Team fly and drive, make it happen captain. I will move mountains to aide anyone making the trip. :thumbup:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

white rocket

Post by white rocket » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. It is the positivity of this group that will keep me here forever.

Yes, those were Spoon twinblocks. Bought for a steal when our dollar was strong and then sold to a US buyer(Dave_B I think) for a profit as our dollar tanked. They did nothing on track so I went with OEM NSX klapperz afterwards. It's all in the pad.

CE28N HSL's will be kept as they are a tribute to all that is Honda Type R. I have 16" SW388's as well. And maybe a couple more 8-)

Ryan (Arr-Tee-Dubya) - Loving your resurgence with the new caR. We will get together again for sure. My NY trip was made memorable from our night out on the town :beer:

Ruke - Yes, it has been a long and glorious road with a new chapter starting now. I appreciate all of the support over the years and for being one of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met. A trip to Cali for a visit would be a dream that I hope to make a reality very soon.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:37 pm

I was THIS CLOSE to making it out to Whistler this year. Once I found out I might be going, I was THIS CLOSE to touching base with you. A couple of my friends still went. Just didnt work out for me this time around. I didnt go riding at all this year :thumbdown:

Maybe next year?
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

white rocket

Post by white rocket » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:45 pm

RTW DC2R wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:37 pm I was THIS CLOSE to making it out to Whistler this year. Once I found out I might be going, I was THIS CLOSE to touching base with you. A couple of my friends still went. Just didnt work out for me this time around. I didnt go riding at all this year :thumbdown:

Maybe next year?
I remember us chatting about a possible trip but just assumed you got busy with work and marriage.

I haven't ridden since 2014 when I cracked a rib or two and separated my shoulder :o .

But I'm down 8-)

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:49 am

Team fly and drive. Trey, RTW, Luke, and others have considered flying out for Expo or a normal track day at Laguna Seca, etc. Open invitation.

I also need to plan a trip north.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171