SOLD: PY 00-0961 moving to SoCal

Post ITR/CTR Cars For Sale Here
Cap

Re: FS PY 00-0951 in Colorado

Post by Cap » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:45 pm

kennyvb wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:08 pm Heads up, someone on h-t is saying you don't respond to your ad.
Thanks, I fixed a typo on my Ph#. Hopefully, they will try email instead.

Cap

Post by Cap » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:16 am

9701TypeR wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:05 pm Has the Driver side fender been replaced?
Thought I would post a pic of the OEM fender. Another potential buyer asked the question, so I took some pictures so you can see that it was not a huge accident. Carfax says 3 previous owners and an accident in 2012.

Cap

Post by Cap » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 am

Here's a pic of my work in progress, replacing the clutch. While I was at it, I traced down the leaking coolant, and found cracked cooling hoses. Also, diagnosed and solved oil seeping from the oil pan gasket. While I had everything apart, I also installed a brand new OEM starter because it's easier to do when everything is apart, and the original was still working but had 17 years of service.

You can also see that I had plenty of room to work on cars last summer. We sold that home, and now I need to let go of this caR to make room for my other projects. :cry:

Cap

Post by Cap » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:41 am

The previous owner, Cycil on this forum, reported an intermittent noise from the clutch, and suspected a bad throwout bearing. I didn't want to drive it a lot with an unknown condition that might cause further damage. So, I put the car on the ramp and waited until the weather in Colorado was warm enough so that I could work in my unheated shop.

When I had the chance to pull the clutch, this is what I found:

Note the missing ball bearings in the pilot bearing. Also, a lot of heat damage on the flywheel and the pressure plate. The OEM clutch actually had plenty of service life remaining. The transmission input shaft splines were in perfect shape. I replaced with an ACT flywheel and new bearing, and an Exedy OEM replacement clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing.

Everything works fine. I have less than 200 miles on it since it went back together. The clutch needs another several hundred miles to break in.

9701TypeR

Post by 9701TypeR » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:33 pm

I think that fender is definitely repairable. That clutch and flywheel had seen better days, piece of mind for the next owner.

Cap

Post by Cap » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:23 pm

Here's a pic of the new pressure plate:

And the cleaned oil pan with the myHondaHabit gasket system ready for install.

Cap

Post by Cap » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:51 am

No luck at $19k with all the extras... So, I reposted the CL ad at $17k with no extras. Not a unicorn, but still a car with all the parts, no mods, no rust, decent interior, and excellent mechanicals.

Maybe I'm turning into that stereotype of the "grumpy old man," but I am getting weary of receiving emails from people who, without every actually coming to see the car, will offer me random low-ball amounts. Bizarre. And when I say, "No thanks" they tell me that they can buy some other car in some distant place, having uncertain provenance, and unknown mechanical state, and pay yadda yadda instead of my asking price. To which I generally don't respond. But, hey, this is a forum for lovers of this caR, so I am going to rant. I apologize in advance.

Rant mode On: Please, go ahead and buy that stolen and stripped car, or that wrecked shell, or that car with the badly welded JDM front clip, or that one in Florida with no visible rust, or the one that has a blown K24 conversion, or even that pretty decent 4-owner car with medium-high miles and a few dings and not-too-badly faded paint. And then, after you pay about a grand to have it shipped to you, you begin your journey of discovery in which you will learn wonderful new skills like where to find a new front lip, how to read the engine codes, who sells OEM parts and actually has them in stock? And in this process you might actually acquire some wisdom surrounding things like, what happens to rubber parts that are 18 years old? Why does Acura recommend flushing the ABS system every year? What is that copper goo called anti-seize, and why do I need it? And I sincerely hope that this journey won't be too painful for you, or too financially ruinous. And when you finally have a reliable daily driver, I hope that you have the grace to think back and say, "Damn, I shouda bought that one in Colorado!"

Rant mode off. Thank you for listening. ;)

Lturner

Post by Lturner » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 am

Ha ha. Having sold multiple caRs that is normal.

On a serious note was this car represented well when you bought it? Were you disappointed with the condition when it arrived?
01-0629 PY I think?
00-1587 from the motherland CW
17-01699 RR

Cap

Post by Cap » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 am

Lturner wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 am On a serious note was this car represented well when you bought it? Were you disappointed with the condition when it arrived?
PO on this board told me about the engine code and the noise from the clutch. And from that, I suspected that I would need a new clutch and a new cat. However, he had been very careful with the interior and the exterior, so I got a car that is straight and rust-free. I was surprised to find some potentially serious bad-mechanic juju. But I fixed all that, and there are no negative consequences for the next owner.

I like to do my own work, because I know how to do it right, and I can afford to do it right. And I intended to keep the car long term. So, I was content to buy a car with a good body, and known mechanical issues.

Sunisho

Post by Sunisho » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:58 pm

Could you sell out of state? How would it work?